Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Prerequisite: Infertility

I’m sure I’m being spectacularly unfair, but I’ve decided that nurses who have no experience with IF should not be allowed to work at IF clinics. Here’s why: If they have never gone through what we're going through, they just. don’t. get. it.

For those of you keeping score at home, yesterday, I spoke with the clueless nurse who showed zero understanding for the fact that not scheduling me for a 3 minute meeting this week with my RE would mean delaying treatment for an entire month. I was, needless to say, ticked. And, the more I thought about it, the more angry I got. She was just plain rude. Not only did she not even attempt to fit me in, but she acted like I was putting them out for even asking.

Because I was so angry, I ended the phone call without asking what, exactly, I was supposed to do this month. RE had initially given me a prescription for 2 months of Clo*mid. With the new lining data, did he expect me to continue with that? (I doubt it.) So, I called my “care team” (ha, ha) and left a message saying, “I’m sorry, I forgot to ask: since I can’t meet with doc this month, what exactly am I supposed to do once AF rears her ugly head?”

Magically, I got a message today from the receptionist saying they were able to “squeeze me in” at 4pm tomorrow.

It turns out that when the receptionist and nurse actually talked to the doctor, he said that of course he wanted to talk to me quickly before he went away.

Aha!

Now, do you believe for a second that a nurse who had gone through IF on her own would ever have been so dismissive without ever having talked to the doc? It seems to me that those of us who have been on this roller coaster would have at least said, “oh, you have a question about what to do next, and are closing in on the end of your cycle. Let me talk to the doctor to see what he wants to do, and I’ll get back to you.” Instead, my highly fertile* nurse dismissed me and only talked to the doc when she realized I wasn’t going away.

This pisses me off. I shouldn’t have to call so many times to get what should be clear guidance about what our next steps are.

What’s worse, this isn’t the first time clueless nurse has been so, well, clueless. After my last blood draw, she called me with the results. “Your progesterone level shows that you ovulated,” she said.

“Um, I know I ovulate. We established that months ago. Doc wanted to check my progesterone to make sure it was high enough at the right point in my cycle to sustain a pregnancy.”

“Oh. Usually we check progesterone to confirm ovulation.”

“Yes, well, we were looking for different information this time.”

No response.

During that call, I finally gave up and just asked the doc next time I met with him. But this is getting ridiculous. She clearly doesn’t want to bother talking to the doc if she can avoid it. Argh.

So, the good news is that I am meeting with the doc tomorrow before he leaves, which makes me feel a little better. But, now I have to worry that the nurses are all conspiring against me for being a pain in the ass. Win some, lose some.

*I happen to know that she’s highly fertile, since she told me on our first visit to the RE. Nice.

2 comments:

Anns said...

When I call my Doc's office I just say "I need to talk to my Doctor". Usually after asking if it's an emergency they'll take my # and have her call me before the end of the day. Go around those "phone picker-up'ers" if you can. Also, you should discuss it w/ him tomorrow - find out if there's a better way to ensure you get on that calendar when you need to.

Maybe they can install a blaring alarm every time your number comes thru the caller ID, that way they know you're a priority patient -- tell him you'll pay for the installation... hey, whatever it takes right!

Erin said...

The nurse TOLD you she's highly fertile? Did you slap her?

I am so with you on this prerequisite. How do we make it so?