Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Family friendly benefits

This morning during one of our general staff meetings, our COO presented the details of our new organizational family leave policy. And, I have to say, by US standards, I’m really impressed. We are a growing start-up, and at the outset, we had short-term disability, which covers about 60% if your salary (up to $1,000) for 6 weeks. That’s certainly better than nothing, but, they’ve actually raised the bar even higher. Now, women who give birth are given 100% of their pay for 6 weeks if they’ve been working at the organization for 1-3 years, 7 weeks for 3-6 years, and 8 full weeks for more than 6 years. What’s more, you don’t have to apply your vacation days to the maternity leave, and we get three weeks paid leave each year. That means that you can put together the equivalent of 9-11 weeks of full pay after the birth of a child, depending on how long you’ve been with the orgainzaation. And, fathers/partners are given one week of full pay after the birth of a child.

What’s even more impressive is that these family leave benefits also apply to couples who choose to adopt, so that the primary caregiver can take 6-8 weeks of paid leave after the adoption of a child.

I’m especially impressed with the adoption benefits. I think that many organizations choose to overlook adoption in their family and medical leave policies, and I’m really happy to be working with an organization that values parenthood in all its forms.

In other news, all this talk of maternity leave isn’t helping my 2ww. All I could think about during the meeting today was, “so, if I were pregnant right now, I would be due in early December, which would mean I could take paid leave with my triplet boys over the holidays for all of December and January and even part of February…”

Dangerous, dangerous thinking.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow, those are FANTASTIC leave policies! Especially for a start-up. I also work for a small company and they don't even offer short term disability. Needless to say, I'm looking for another job.

I REALLY REALLY hope this 2ww is it for you so you can take advantage of this great new rule and not to mention holiday time :)

Baby Blues said...

I call it "positive" thinking! Those are good benefits. I hope the 2ww has a happy ending.