Monday, April 02, 2007

2ww #22

The IUIs went well. As usual, hubby’s swimmers shined. (He had greater than 100 million and 90% motility both days. Hard not to think I’m the problem here, huh?) For yesterday’s, though, I have to say that the dr. had one helluva time getting the catheter through my cervix. And, it got me to thinking: if HE has a hard time getting the swimmers up there—with TOOLS and a light, for peet’s sake—then how the hell are the poor little guys ever supposed to do it on their own? No wonder we can’t get knocked up—you apparently need a degree from Harvard med just to find my uterus.

The doctor of course assured me that this has nothing to do with our ability to get pregnant. (The cervix issue, I mean. He hasn’t said whether the “no degree from Harvard” is our problem. But that’s my fault, really, since I’ve never asked.) Of course, since they haven’t found anything that suggests we shouldn’t have five kids by now, I’m starting to develop my own opinions about what is and is not working.

So, here I am. It’s my 22nd 2ww (not including those months at the beginning when I was carefree and not paying close attention to the 2ww). Good times. Sadly, the NCAA basketball tournament ends tonight, so I won’t have that to obsess over anymore. And, it looks like I’m going to finish a pitiful 33 out of 40 in my pool. At that point it would have been better to come in last. The person who comes in last (affectionately known in my family as the super-loser) gets her money back. Drat! I can’t win OR lose… It’s like a metaphor for my life, really.

In other news, the doctor did bring up that we should start thinking about doing IVF. He said that, if this cycle doesn’t work, we could do one more IUI if we wanted before moving on to IVF. Or, we could just move straight on. Ugh. I’ll take “decisions I don’t want to have to make for $100, please.”

What’s funny about all of this is that, back in January, when we were contemplating doing clo*mid for the first time, I was really having a hard time with it. I was lamenting having to take a pill and get monitored, etc. Ha! Now I inject recombinant human follicle stimulating hormone (and, more than that, I know what recombinant human follicle stimulating hormones are) and practically have the path from to my cervix and uterus mapped out on my own! “Now, doc, you’re going to have to curve that catheter a bit to the left to hit my cervix properly.”

Life’s funny, ain’t it?

6 comments:

Sarah said...

glad the IUIs went well. i think your docs right about the sperm not needing a harvard degree to find their way through the cervix, they are much tinier than that huge honkin catheter. but i know so well how frustrating it is to be unexplained. you can't help but wonder what the heck is going on and there are just so many millions of things it seems it could be. well, i hope you never find out why, because it just finally works this time!!

Kristen said...

Wouldn't it be great if scientists could develop GPS for sperm to find the egg? It could even re-route them if they took a wrong turn! LOL

I am keeping my crossables crossed that this IUI is the magic one and you won't need IVF, but on the bright side, I know lots of women who have been successful with it. I hope your insurance is better than mine and covers at least a portion of it.

I'm sending you all the babydust I have and I'll be stalking you!

Baby Blues said...

Welcome to the wait. Choose a seat, get comfortable, grab a book, keep comfort food nearby and try not to look at the calendar. Good luck! Glad the IUI went well.

Tam said...

Glad that you are in the 2ww now, really praying that this one works for you...go and have a look at looking for two lines - LJ has just gotten her BFP through IUI, so IUI's do work, phew...am I relieved!! It's scary thinking about IVF, I too face that decision within the next 1 or 2 IUI's and quite honestly i don't think i'm ready for that but time will tell. Good luck sweetie, I hope this is the one :) P.S, I also have a "funny" cervix and it's always a mission when it comes to IUI's...it's goes into hiding :)

Mands said...

Hey there! Shew! Is it that time again already? The first two weeks just whizz by don't they?
I really really hope this one works for you Bun. I mean, the numbers are good, and like Tam said, it is possible to fall PG on IUI.
I have a wandering cervix as well, so my doc is always rooting around in there causing all kinds of upset!
Hope your wait is speedy, and filled with PG symptoms.

Anns said...

Sending out lots an' lots of luck to you for this 2WW.... I really hope this month is yours.

Be strong lady... we're all here rooting for you.

Anns xo