Thursday, May 31, 2007

The 28-Day Challenge

I think I forgot to tell you before, but, when I gave up caffeine, I decided it would be a brilliant idea to replace my latte-a-day with an ice cream-a-day. You see, there was that study that showed a link between eating high-fat dairy and fertility. Never mind the obvious selection bias of the study—namely that they compared fertility rates of women who eat low-fat ice cream with those who eat high-fat ice cream, and that women who eat low-fat ice cream are more likely to be dieting and/or health conscious and likely lower weight. And that being underweight is a known contributor to ovulation problems, the thing they’re convinced eating high-fat dairy helps alleviate. (Also leave aside the fact that I don’t have ovulation problems.) Whatever. I looked past that logic. I mean, why not just read the flashy MS*NB*C headlines and take this simple lesson away: Caffeine=bad, ice cream=good?

Unfortunately, you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to know that an ice cream-a-day habit doesn’t help my aforementioned flabbiness.

So, in the spirit of using my pre-IVF BCP cycle productively, I’m going to start myself on my own 28-Day Challenge starting this Saturday.

Here’s what I’m proposing: either running or swimming 5x/week for four weeks. That sounds doable, no?

Why 28 days, you ask? Well, because my theory is that, once you get over the initial hurdle of getting into shape—that part where it feels like you’re going to die everyday when you step onto the treadmill—it gets easier to maintain long-term. I always feel like I quit my new workout routines in less than a month, before the new habit really had a chance to grab hold.

Well, that and the fact that the BCP cycle is 28 days long. Conveeenient...

So, there you have it. My 28-Day Challenge.

And, Erin suggested that those of us trying to motivate to get into shape this summer try to figure out a way to keep each other motivated. So....anyone want to join the 28-Day Challenge?

6 comments:

Laura, the (reluctant) baroness said...

I'm in!!! The caffeine challenge has gone pretty well for me (I still have a tinsy bit of caffeine a day because I'm still getting headaches without it. Damn, I'm addicted.) I was so happy with myself for initiating a positive change, that I started exercising this week. I've exercised every day thus far. I think I can do running or my elliptical trainer (the one under the dust until monday) 5x/week, and some strength training - let's say 3X/week. I agree, after a month, it is habit.

Woo Hoo. I'm so excited about the new and improved healthy people we're becoming! I want to be a pregant lady with buns of steel (or at least not cottage cheese :) )

Sarah said...

i know this is not in our waistlines' best interests, but i truely believe an IVFer deserves a high-ice cream-content diet.

Amy said...

I am in!

Erin said...

Count me in, too!

Yeah, about the no dairy from my acu. ROUGH. She said I could have a little, but they believe that the human body isn't supposed to drink cow's milk. Not sure what to think about that, but I guess I need to try SOMETHING different. Goodbye Cheerios, Ben, Jerry and my best pal Havarti...

Reproductive Jeans said...

Oh I want to do this! I just dont know if I am going to have the will power when I am in key west! But I will walk every day--is that OK? I am just not a runner...but Ill walk! I am just going to need motivation!

KarenO said...

This sounds like a great idea! Even though I'm long past the cycling challenges, I can do with more exercise. Just pleeeeeeeease don't take my caffeine away! You can keep the icecream, just give me my coffee :)