Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Building arm strength (and hope...damnit)

Shucks, you guys are so sweet. I really appreciate your support yesterday. (Though I have to confess to still feeling a bit like a broken record. I’m just glad you don’t mind. ☺)

I’m 9dpo today. I can’t say that hope has taken up any kind of permanent residence in my heart. But I do have to say that when I almost cried from the breast pain caused by my car going over a small bump, I couldn’t help but let her in. Just a bit.

Of course, do I get breast pain every month? Yes I do. Do I have a baby yet? No I don’t.

And what about my lower back pain and exhaustion? Was that the direct result leaving at 6:15am and of sitting in traffic for more than five hours today going from meeting to meeting? Yes, I’m sure it was. But did my mind go elsewhere anyway? Don’t make me say it out loud…

In other news, I’ve been so moved by the many of you that have been hitting the gym (and by my own increasing flabbiness) that I’m thinking of trying to take advantage of next month’s BCP cycle by getting back into some semblance of shape. I’m thinking of joining the local Y to get back to swimming again. There’s really nothing I find more relaxing, and it’s the only way I know to get my spaghetti arms into shape. I mean, I seriously have the WEAKEST arms you’d ever hope to see. I know what you’re saying, “they can’t be that bad!” You’re wrong. They are. It’s pathetic. I can’t even do one real pushup. So you can imagine how frustrating I found yoga—the whole thing just stressed me out. (Ironic, no?) I wasn’t even strong enough to get better, for peet’s sake because I couldn’t hold the poses long enough to build strength. How am I going to become the zen yoga master I know is buried somewhere deep inside if I can’t even do one sun salutation?

*sigh*

10 comments:

TeamWinks said...

I have just taken up swimming as my form of exercise. Man does it kill my shoulders the next day. So worth it!

So, our sister Hope is visiting. I too hope she decides to remain a long term house guest for both of us!

Coffeegrl said...

I can see you getting stronger already!

Amy said...

After your workouts, find a bar in the gym and hang your arms from it to stretch out your body. My husband says this helps to 'decompress' your spine and strengthens your arms slowly. I definitely have flabby & weak arms; its pathetic. I can't even hang from a rope. Anyways, I did it yesterday after our first workout and it was HARD but hopefully over time I'll become a glamazon amazon woman and will beable to benchpress my husband. :p

Erin said...

I know what you mean about the breast pain, I'm starting to think I feel it 24/7 at this point. Sorry you had such a long day in traffic, that does not sound fun.

I was thinking the same thing about using my upcoming pre-ivf time. Getting in shape will most definitely the best use of my time. Maybe we should figure out some sort of blog-exercise challenge, or at the very least cheer each other on. I'll be checking in to see how your push ups are going!

Bumble said...

My arms are like spagetti too, don't worry. Its so frustrating! I'm hoping the sore boobs are a great sign... x

Ms. Planner said...

It is the cruelest of cruel ironies that PMS symptoms are often like pregnancy symptoms. Hang in there Sticky.

Sounds like you were going to a vinyasa style yoga class with all of the sun salutations. There are lots of different types of yoga, so maybe that style just wasn't for you (or your arms :D ).

Swimming sounds great though. I'm jealous. I suck at swimming. Seriously, suck at it.

thinking of you, Ms. P

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I am glad that you are feeling hopeful. I am hoping that the sore boobs are a good sign.

Good for you for hitting the gym. I really need to start doing that.

Tam said...

Hoping that all the aches and pains are a good sign. Good on you for joining the gym, i don't have the motivation at all and I lack the staying power, the only thing i've been good at sticking to is trying to have a baby...

Keep us update, praying for you sweetie xxx

Sarah said...

i'm terrible at yoga too. no sense of balance whatsoever. i do much better with pilates! and i LOVE and miss my old Y dearly. i like how those places seem so much more health-oriented than the trendy gyms that seem to be more about struttin your stuff in the lastest cool outfit.

anyway, wishing the best for this cycle. you've got my hopes up for you too! :)

Matthew M. F. Miller said...

Matthew M. F. Miller says:

I know it sounds like crap, but the best arm workout you can do is proper push ups. Plus, they work your abs, too. Great for getting ready for the summer.