Monday, May 07, 2007

San Fran and a cycle update



I managed to catch a miserable cold while on the left coast, so this is going to be quick. The long and short of it is that our trip to San Francisco was fabulous. Erin certainly delivered and the weather was perfect—mid 70s-80s and sunny everyday. It’s never like that when I’m in San Fran. We spent all day Saturday at a few gorgeous champagne vineyards in Sono*ma (see above) and we had a great dinner at a chophouse in North Beach last night. It was great.

But…okay, well I can’t lie to you guys. I wasn’t strong. I tested on Saturday. And Sunday. Both BFN. Damnit.

So, now we’re faced with the inevitable IVF decision. As I think you know, I’m torn about moving on to IVF. But, it looks like that’s going to be our reality. C’est la vie. I’m actually feeling more at peace with it today. But, because we’re so unhappy with Dismissivo and with how some things have been handled with my protocols, we’ve decided to explore another clinic. It’s a clinic we thought about going to initially, but it’s much farther away from our place. But, they’re IVF success rates are among the best in the country according to SART and they’re listed among the top-10 fertility clinics, so it seems worth at least checking out. So, we’re going to get our records and get a second opinion...and perhaps switch.

But, that means that we’re going to be taking a month or two off for the exploration. I think it’s the right thing for us to do right now. I’m just not feeling comfortable with our clinic right now and I feel like I need to feel good about our RE for IVF. And, judging from the wise comments from those of you who have done this before, feeling really good about your RE and your clinic is HUGE for this step. So, we’re still going to try while we explore, but it’ll be a low-tech couple of months.

And, that’s the name of that tune.

8 comments:

Erin said...

Oh Stick, I'm so sorry. I know the move to IVF is a huge decision and I think you're doing the right thing, taking a little while to think about it, and especially to get some distance from Dismissivo. You have to do so much on faith (and a little science, I guess) with IVF, and it's definitely important to feel good about the people who are taking care of you.

Mind if I call you Stick? Are you doing acupuncture? Just curious.

I wish your SF vacation could have ended with a BFP, I know you would have gladly traded the weather for one. Happy Belated Birthday, though!

Sarah said...

did you go to chandon? so beautiful! one of my best wine country memories!

exploring is definitely a good idea. i hope you find a doc you feel really comfortable with.

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I am so sorry about your BFN, but I am glad that you two were able to have a good time anyway.

You absolutley must be comfortable with your RE. I did 2 cycle with a doc that I was NOT comfortable with, and I would give anything to get those cycles back. I think it's good that you are shopping around.

Belly Laughs said...

You need to like your clinic. I liked my clinic and all of the other docs (most of the time), but did not enjoy interactions with our primary RE. It's stressful enough as it is...so make sure you are working with someone who makes you feel ok about the decisions you're making. I can completely relate to NOT wanting to do IVF...I still do not want to!! But alas if it works, I will be happy. Glad CA was fun!!

Ms. Planner said...

Sticky Bun,

Happy Birthday by the way. Although I am sorry about your BFN, I am happy because you sound (read?) like you are getting comfortable with your path and gearing up for the adventure of it all. And, guess what, we'll be here for you! Best wishes for patience and peacefulness during your 2-month low tech transition.

And, here's my assvice: now would be a great time to start with fertility-related acupuncture if you haven't explored it already. Just be sure you are comfortable with your practitioner here as well.

xoxo, Ms. Planner

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

I am really sorry!! But it sounds like you have made the best decision under the circumstances. Too many bloggers have regretted staying at a clinic even when they felt it was not the right one for them. Bravo for having the courage to move on to IVF AND to find a better place for it.

Good luck getting over that cold!

Carrie said...

I'm glad you're making peace with this decision. It's not easy, is it?

I think finding a doctor you really like is very important and worth the wait.

Reproductive Jeans said...

Definitely worth the wait to find someone you are completely comfortable with-that will take off so much additional stress!
Im sorry the b-day and end of SF trip did not offer a BFP--and another sorry for having to start considering IVF...its scary, but it offers yet more hope! Hope you are feeling better from the cold!