Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Past the point of no return

So sorry I’ve been out of touch for a few days! Work has been crazed—to the point where I have very little time to sneak away to blog, even at night while I’m home I’ve been doing stuff. The bastards! How dare they get in the way of my more important blogging.

Anyhow, here are a few updates:
  1. Rather than deal with the situation with my friend’s potential pregnancy announcement, I’ve avoided the topic. Completely. It’s all very mature, really. I just emailed saying that I was really busy at work (which, by the way, is true), so next week wasn’t good for me (also true). The good news is she’s going to be away the week after, so we’re talking now about late July, which will be well past my stims. So, I think I can safely put this off until after my beta. And, I’m hoping that means that, if she is pregnant, she’ll give up and just tell me before we meet.

    Like I said, very mature.

  2. Remember that guy I told you about at work? He needs to go. He’s making things uncomfortable for another team member, to the point where she doesn’t really want to come to work anymore. The whole situation sucks. I hate confrontation to begin with. And EVERY conversation with him involves confrontation. So, we’re in talk with lawyers to see what our options are. If it were only up to me, I’d just fire him and deal with the fallout. But I guess we need to follow some kind of protocol. Argh. Stupid rules.

  3. So, I started my stims tonight. It wasn’t quite as seamless as I thought it might be. First, I don’t know if I mentioned this, but Smirky’s office offered to have the meds sent to them rather than to my house. That way, I wouldn’t have to worry about being home to sign for them, they could check everything for me, etc. It sounded like a great idea to me. Especially because the pharmacy I have to use is notoriously unreliable. They’ll say something is going to arrive one day, and it will arrive two days later. Which of course makes it tough to know when to stay home from work to sign. (Wonderful for an industry that depends on timing, no?) So, I took Smirky up on the offer and picked up the enormous box-o-meds at my monitoring and bloodwork this morning.

    Then, this evening as I went to give myself my two shots, I realized that there’s only one kind of needle in the box. This strikes me as odd, since I’m supposed to have one kind for my meno*pur, and another IM needle for the progesterone in oil (good times). So, I call Smirky (at night—ugh—I hate doing that) to confirm that this is wrong, and to ask what I should do. The bad news: yes, it’s the wrong kind of needle. The “good” news: that I can do the meno*pur as an IM injection.

    *blink, blink* huh? Did you say I’m going to have to do this as an IM injection?

    I wasn’t ready for that just yet. I had prepared myself for my two sub-q shots, but I was happy to have few days to get used to that before I had to move on to IM. Ugh.

    So I asked Smirky if there was a secret option c. Like, might Wal*green’s have the right syringe and couldn’t I just get it there?

    Thankfully, I could, and I sidestepped the IM landmine for tonight. But, here’s my question: Is there not enough stress involved in IVF that they wanted to throw a little curve ball for good measure?
So, that’s about all for now. I’ll try to find something more interesting to say in my next post so you don’t leave me all alone during my sad-IVF period. Or worse, during my post-transfer 2ww! ☺

18 comments:

Natalie said...

Ouch! If someone told me I had to do an IM inject on my first day of stims I would have cried. A lot. I'm so glad you were able to sidestep that one. Yeesh!!

Tam said...

Shame man, when I did my stimms they just presumed that I would prefer the IM injections because that's how they used to do them, I had to tell them that I would prefer the subcu and they had to replace all the needles.

Good luck with the stimms sweetie, here comes the fun part, it all goes very quick from here. Thinking of you :)

KarenO said...

Sorry to hear about the IM stuff and the nasty man @ work. Good luck with the stims! :)

Sarah said...

well first of all, we're not leaving you, so don't worry!

so glad you had the wherewithall to ask about getting subQ needles at walgreens! i probably would have been so dumbfounded i'd just cry and not think to ask.

and on the very mature friend thing, we do what we can. during stims isn't necessarily the time to try to handle something like that all grown-up or whatever. there are certain things like the job situation that we just can't avoid, but you gotta take it easy on yourself when you can when you're dealing with all this IF stuff.

Kate said...

Good luck - I hope everything goes smoothly at work and with the shots.

Somewhat Ordinary said...

Wow, that would have freaked me out too! I'm glad you were able to get the other needles.

Laura, the (reluctant) baroness said...

Congratulations on starting stims. I am really excited and hopeful for you and this cycle! I hope this time flies quickly for you.

I think you handled your friend just fine. Sometimes a little avoidance is the best option.

Good job avoiding the IM!

Dianne/Flutter said...

Oh boy. Glad you got another option, good for you for asking! Wishing you the best.

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

Good luck with stims Sticky. I would have most definitely gone with option C as well.

Amy said...

I'm glad you were able to postpone the date with your girls. Really, you don't need the additional stress right now. I'm supposed to have dinner with my friend whose baby shower I skipped in a few weeks and I'm already dreaming up 'I got abducted by aliens' type of excuses!! :) Best of luck with the stims and sorry to hear about the early needle drama. I'm glad you were able to find a work around. :)

Amy said...

Smart Girl! Definitely go with easy needles. Your stim will go great, and we will definitely listen to more.

I think that being mature means having mastered the art of avoidance!

Bean said...

Good luck with this cycle. I don't mind the IM injections too much (better than suppositories if you ask me), but I MUCH prefer the subcu to the IM. Good move on your part inquiring about option C.

Hope the cycle passes quickly and is a success.

Erin said...

Congrats (?) on starting your stims and nice job figuring out secret option c. The IM’s aren’t bad, but it’s not fair to have to start them on Day 1! That’s so nice of Smirky to let you have the meds delivered there. I just had to stay home to wait for mine.

I hope the shots are going ok for you. When do you go in for your first u/s?

I love the way you dealt with your friend. That’s tough news to hear anytime, but especially when you’re in the midst of IVF.

And you will NOT be alone during this! Don't worry!

E

Ms. Planner said...

We want a picture! (of your meds, of course).

You will never be alone during the 2WW. I am so hopeful for you this cycle and very excited for you.

And how you handled your friend: nicely played. You don't need the extra stress right now. Work sounds stressful enough.

xoxo, Ms. Planner

CAM said...

Good move postponing the dinner date with the friends. You need to focus on you right now. I have been in similar "needle" dilemmas and have found that Shop Rites and Walmarts carry a big variety of syringes and needles. Who knew?
:)

Reproductive Jeans said...

WOAH! I would have been like: Um no, give me another option NOW! Glad you were able to get another needle!
Ill be emailing you shortly...=)

Carrie said...

Don't feel bad about the friend plan. It is a good plan. You just don't need any extra stress right now. Avoidance is a wonderful strategy.

As for the injections. Yikes. Glad you managed to get hold of the others.

That's it then. You're off. I hope it'll be a successful journey with few, or no, scary moments and, of course, a great ending.
I'll be watching closely, you're ahead of me now. (Problem already, is that a record?) I hope to be joining you soon.

Baby Blues said...

I'm not going anywhere! I'll be right here reading your posts and keeping you company. Good luck! Hoping for the best.