Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Hang on, Sticky Buns!

First, thank you so much for all of your positive thoughts and well-wishes since the fertilization report! I sincerely appreciate your support--more than you know. :-)
________________________

So, here they are. I know all embryos are beautiful, but aren't ours cute? (I'm kidding...)

The transfer was remarkably easy and quick, considering they just put two early human lives back into my uterus. I mean, I think the whole procedure took about 15 minutes--including the "name and social security checking." Isn't that crazy?

In a nutshell, we got there a little early and they took us back to get changed, etc. About five minutes before the transfer the doctor came in to tell us how things looked: all 8 embryos are still fighting (which is amazing to me), but it sounds like at least a few of them aren't looking great. And there were definitely two that apparently looked far better than the others. So, the doc recommended transferring both, both of which seemed to be graded "B".

They weren't too clear about what the grades of the embryos were, but I saw one that seemed to say 2bc, and the other definitely had a B involved, although I can't remember the full grade. Either way, I don't really know what any of that means. I'm guessing it's good, but not as good as A. (I know, I know. I'm pretty quick, huh?) The doctor said I shouldn't get too focused on the grades. He said they were "good" and that grading embryos wasn't a "science."

Really? Because it all seems awfully scientific to me, what with the lab coats and fancy machinery.

Hubby and I asked a few questions about the risks of twin pregnancy, etc. The doctor explained them, most of which we already knew. And, we ultimately just decided to go with the doctor's recommendation to transfer both blasts. (Apparently if they were both As, he would have recommended transferring one.) After all, he knows more about this than we do, and we would certainly feel blessed with either a singleton or twins.

After the five-minute "how many do we transfer" conversation, they brought me into the OR and showed me the embryos on a TV screen. It was so strange. I mean, this is the first month (other than our miscarriage) when we KNOW where we stand. We know that we have two blasts, and now we've seen them.

Anyhow, we find out tomorrow if they'll be able to freeze any of the remaining 6 embryos. My clinic freezes only embryos that pass some marker of quality at day 6. The doctor thought there was a chance we'd have two or three, but he was definitely non-committal.

If he's right, needless to say, we'd be THRILLED!

But, for now all I'm worried about are our two l'il sticky buns that are (I hope) nestling in for the long haul. And, I have to say that, given how this cycle started out, we feel very fortunate to be where we are. B grades or not, these little embryos have been working their asses off for us this cycle, so we have high hopes for them.

And now we wait...

16 comments:

Ms. Planner said...

I am so happy to hear about your two little embies. You must be so proud!

Sticky, you were one of the first blogs I started to read when I was lurking on blogs, trying to not feel so alone after my first m/c last winter. I kind of feel like I've been on a little bit of this journey with you. This is definitely a good day in your path to motherhood.

I am thinking of you, praying for you and sending lots of positive mojo your way.

Erin said...

Awesome - they look beautiful! I have to second a little bit of what Ms. P said, because you were one of my first, too. This is so exciting! I'll be rooting for the others to make to to the freezer too! Try not to have too stressful a 2ww.

-e

chicklet said...

That's awesome. Very very happy for you and wishing you good luck with the 2ww!

topcat said...

Wow. How AMAZING is technology! I hope your sticky buns live up to their name :)

Mony said...

It's such a positive time! Anything is possible...let's hope those embryo's are making themselves right at home xx

Amy R said...

I really hope this is it for you Sticky! Hope you are having (or had) a very restful day. Go embies!! :)

Tam said...

I am so happy to hear that your embies kept on growing. Well done little ones, I must say that I have a really good feeling for you Sticky!!

Good luck with the 2ww, praying that it flies by!!

Carrie said...

SB, that's great news. I'm so glad everything went smoothly. Now I'll be hoping along with everyone else for the next two weeks.
I know what you mean by knowing where you stand now. That's a hard part of this whole deal isn't it?
I mean, the amount of 2ww where the sperm may naver have sniffed the egg or whatever but we never know. This time you know. They are there and they are real and I so hope the stick around for another eight months or so xx

serenity said...

Congrats on a great transfer.

And your doctor is right - grades don't matter - sometimes the "ugliest" embryo is the one that turns into a baby.

May the next days fly by for you, cyclesista...

xxx

Waiting Amy said...

yeah, Yeah, YEAH!!

I'm so glad that your so-so stim turned into such a good group of embies! What a good day!

I'm thinking good thoughts for them to stick and the other to freeze. Do your best to chill out and be happy!

Sarah said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! i hope the wait flies by for you (haha, yeah right). take it easy and plan some fun distractions.

Kate said...

I'll be sending lots of good thoughts your way for the 2ww!

tipsymarie said...

They are beautiful. :) I am so happy that you've made it this far, and I hope they burrow in for the next nine months.
Thinking of you and hope the next two weeks just FLIES by. Yeah, right. :)

Dianne/Flutter said...

Wishing you many good hopes. Now, lil' stickies, do stick around won't you? :)

Reproductive Jeans said...

Yahoooo! Sticky that is GREAT that all of them made it past the initial fert report--and your 2 embies look great--I hope we are as lucky=) Been thinking of you my friend, and SO glad things look GREAT! We need to keep each other positive through the 2ww!

Diana said...

I'll be sending good thoughts your way until the beta!!