Thursday, August 16, 2007

Cramping my style...

On Tuesday, I was at work, blissfully (sort of) going about my day. And, as I usually do when I’m looking for a quick break, I tried to check my bloglines account to see how my sisters were doing.

Blocked.

Curious, I thought. So, I decided to go directly to a few of your blogs.

All blocked.

Fu*kers. They’ve blocked all blog-related websites—bloglines, technorati, blogspot.com, etc. Now I can’t get to any of them, which is making my daily blog reading, commenting, and writing a lot trickier than I imagined. And the worst part is, it’s not like I didn’t do my work. I poked around only when I needed a bit of a break. But, sadly, the man has decided I can surf no more.

Of course, this new blocked content also makes me PARANOID. I feel like I have a scarlet B on my computer or something—like they know about my blog and are blocking me particularly. I realize that’s probably ridiculous. It’s more likely they blocked the sites from the kids, but whatever. That doesn’t stop me from being paranoid.

In other news, today is a red letter day in the life of sticky bun and hubby. Today, just after lunch, I sent the final check that will zero out the last of our credit card balances. You see, hubby and I racked up (separately) ridiculous amounts of debt in our twenties, then combined all of that debt on our wedding day. Romantic, huh?

(We used to joke that a prenup for us would just be about shackling one of us with all of the debt rather than getting or keeping any money. It really was a shockingly large sum—one that if I told you, you’d probably think I was the most irresponsible person in the world for living so frivolously when I was making nothing and in grad school.)

But, today, we paid it off. And I feel really proud.

22 comments:

chicklet said...

Blocked, oh my god, what would I do on breaks at work? Ack!

Congrats on the debt though:-)

wanttobeamom said...

Congrats on paying off your debt! It feels good, doesn't it? =)

Chris said...

Sorry you've been cut off at work. That just really stinks.

Congrats on paying off your debt. I know what a huge accomplishment that is.

Amy R said...

Congratulations Sticky Bun! Thats a huge accomplishment! :)

Erin said...

Holy crap, that is my worst nightmare. Now that I'm looking for a job I've been wondering if it's inappropriate to ask about firewalls in the interview. Ya think?

Awesome news about paying off those credit cards. Even though the amounts might have been shocking to some, I bet you had a damn good youth!

Carrie said...

My work block some Blogs. I think it depends on the language used. It drives me mad. I mean, I work hard and what I do during my lunchtime should be up to me. I'm a grown up.

Is there no way round? Like logging into individual pages?

Caro said...

Don't know what I'd do if I was blocked.

Oh and major congrats on the CC debt.

Waiting Amy said...

UGH, sorry about the blocking. I'm at my sister's house and for some reason I'm having trouble accessing my bloglines account. It is SO frustrating!

Congrats on the release from debt! I'm so jealous! Fortunately, Hubby and I had lots of grants and scholarships for undergrad, so came out debt-free. But since professional school for both of us and now IF and me being SAHM, we are MASSIVELY in debt, and incurring more by the day. I can't wait to feel what you felt today!

Sarah said...

woohoo, congrats on being debt free! now you can start to rack it all up again on baby shopping (kidding, sort of).

Becks said...

What a great feeling you must have today...DEBT FREE!!!

My company has just blocked access to hotmail and yahoo etc. seems like all companies are getting wise...spoil sports!

Thanks for the folly/egg advice, I hope I get a great egg number surprise like you did.

Somewhat Ordinary said...

I was blocked for blogs at my last job (that was before I was blogging). We also got blocked from some of the sites I frequented and I hated the feeling that they had been watching me!

Congrats on the debt!

Reproductive Jeans said...

Damn blocks...that stinks!
And that is a great accomplishment--way to go! You must feel a great sense of relief!

Ms. Planner said...

Boo to the blocks. Down with the man!

Congratulations on being debt-free. That is a major accomplishment!

Dianne/Flutter said...

Paranoid, I would be too. I'm sure it is nothing.

Congrats about being debt free!

Kate said...

That is great - congrats!!

Diana said...

YAY for paying off the debt, that is an incredible thing. You will feel so much freer now!

Try downloading www.firefox.com and using that instead of internet explorer. Most companies only block explorer.

megan said...

congratulations on being debt-free! what an enviable position to be in, and timely too! :)
i would die if i were blocked from the blogosphere at work. . . how terrible! perhaps temporary?

Kristen said...

Congrats on the payoff! That must be a weight off your shoulders :)

Natalie said...

Congrats on paying off that debt!!!

That's why i like working from home... no filters. :) When working at clients I don't like to check things anyways, I get so paranoid.

Anns said...

Congrats on the pay-off, must be a nice feeling.. I'll read this post over and over from time to time to get inspiration.

As far as the blog-blockage.. that's seriously F-ed up. Did you try using a different browser? Like Firefox, or IE, Safari or something else?

Bastards.

tipsymarie said...

It's blocked at my work too, which is a good thing. Otherwise, I would get nothing done. I don't have the willpower to walk.away.from.the.computer.

Congratulations on paying off that debt. Nothing (well, almost nothing) feels better! That is an amazing accomplishment!

Trish said...

argh!! Damned firewalls!

Congrats on being debt free! That is truly cause for celebration. We have a disgusting amount of debt as well. Having a hubby that was unemployed for nearly 2 years aggravated things considerably. Now that we're once again a 2 income household, we're working on it. Consider me green with envy at your debt-freeness!