Thursday, August 23, 2007

A subchori-what?!?

First, thank you so much for all of your good thoughts and prayers. I cried as I read them (I actually cried quite a lot today) and can't tell you how much I appreciate your support.

So, here's the two minute update: I just got back from Smirky’s office. First of all, despite his pessimism during my stims cycle, I’m a big Smirky fan. He just really seems to know what he’s doing, and he’s a straight shooter all the way.

Since today was the only day Smirky was going to be in the office, they asked me to come in at 1:45, which I gladly did. They took us right on time, I told him what happened last night and he said, “okay, let’s check it out” and gave me an ultrasound.

The good news is that the sticky buns were still kicking. One was actually facing us and you could see his/her little arms and legs and beautiful heart beating. The other (the shy one from the picture) was of course turned away, but measuring well with a nice strong 175bpm heartbeat.

The bad news is I have something called a subchorionic hematoma. Basically, shy sticky looks like s/he’s got a little blod clot between him/her and my uterus. That’s where the bleeding came from last night. (And, while the bleeding has stopped, the chances I’ll bleed again are actually quite high because there’s still blood in there.)

The other bad news is that having this puts me at a higher risk for miscarriage and all kinds of other unpleasantness if it doesn’t resolve itself.

We don’t know what caused it, but I can’t help but think that last Friday’s accident didn’t help the situation. (Although, I guess we didn’t see it on Monday's scan, so who knows.)

In the end, I guess it doesn’t matter what caused it. I’m on modified bed rest for now basically hoping that this thing heals itself over the next few weeks and that it has no effect on sticky 1 or sticky 2.

*sigh*

So, the news is better than I thought it was going to be as I sat in the ER last night, but obviously not as good as it could be. And we’re just hoping that this is the last trick Murphy plans to play on us during this pregnancy. He’s such a prick.

Hang on sticky buns! We're trying to take good care of you!

25 comments:

Chris said...

First of all, you ARE taking really good care of your sticky buns. Secondly, I'm glad the news wasn't as bad as you first thought, and glad that at least you know what the problem is. Take care, and keep the good thoughts going. I will be sending lots of prayers your way! Hugs too . .. .

megan said...

murphy is indeed a prick. i'm so relieved to hear that the buns are still thriving.
i hope the hematoma resolves itself sooner rather than later. still sending all sorts of good energy and thoughts your way.
take care, sticky.

Amy R said...

Goodness. Well, I'm glad the buns are okay. Get plenty of rest and I hope this issue fixes itself naturally. Hugs to you.

Becks said...

I hope all the rest does the trick. Thinking of you...hugs.

Sarah said...

wow, i'm sure that's pretty scary to hear. so glad they seem to be thriving in there. surely they must know you are taking fantastic care of them. i hope bedrest = plenty of time to blog. i'll be thinking of you and checking for frequent updates.

Waiting Amy said...

If I see Murphy, I'll beat him with the stick I keep around for AF.

Sorry you had such a scary time! I'm glad things are looking okay, and I will be sending all my good thoughts your way. Email anytime if you need to vent while on bedrest! :)

Natalie said...

Definitely scary.... but I'm thinking very good thoughts that this will resolve itself.

Cece said...

Oh sweetie - I'm sorry. Keep you chin up - we are all thinking of you.

Erin said...

I'm glad to hear you got to hear such good news about your stickies. I'll be thinking about you - make sure you get lots of rest! I'm sure you don't need any prodding, though.

My middle name (mom's maiden name) is Murphy, so I'll have a nice, stern talk with my people for you.

Adrienne said...

Whew! Like you said, not the best news, but better than the worst. And it should resolve itself. Momcaster (a secondary IFer) is going through the exact same thing right now.

serenity said...

I've had a number of friends with SCH - which have resolved itself over time.

So WHEW! Yay. Take good care of yourself and the buns, and I'm hoping this goes away soon.

Sunny said...

I am really glad to hear your little sticky buns are doing wonderful. Rest and rest some more!

Ann said...

You didn't say how big the blood clot was. I, too, have a blood clot under the placenta, and my doctor said there's not huge reason to worry; she had a patient with almost more blood clot than baby, and her baby turned out fine. I was really scared, too, but we just have to hang in there. :)

Reproductive Jeans said...

Ok, whew....while Im so sorry to hearabout the hematoma--I am thinking of you and trusting that the bed rest and love from Mr SB will make you feel more at ease=)

Ms. Planner said...

Sticky! I was traveling this week and didn't see your posts until just now.

Oh sister, I am so sorry you had to go through all of this. And I would call Murphy a MUCH worse name than you did.

I know you are worried and scared. And I wish I could give you a hug. You are being such a great mom, resting and taking care of the bebe buns. Rest, relax (yeah, right) and for goodness sake back away from the Google. Except to update us. Sending prayers your way.

Carrie said...

Thank goodness! I've been so worried for you, can't imagine what you went through. Now I hope this resolves itself and quickly so you won't have to worry anymore.

anna said...

Oh my gosh...I was on call yesterday and just got to catch up on your posts. I'm so sorry you're going through so much stress! I myself am obsessive about the TP checking right now too and can easily imagine the terror you went through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Stickies!

Somewhat Ordinary said...

Wow, that is scary, but you sound like you are in good hands! I'll be thinkin of you.

chicklet said...

I'm glad to hear it's better news than expected but really really hoping it stays better news and resolves itself safely for your sticky buns. Hang in there, take it easy.

CAM said...

Glad the two are still there and smiling at you. We are all here sending you positive vibes~~~~
Keep yourself rested and as positive as you can.
:)

Kristen said...

I am so so glad to hear the buns are okay.

I'm sorry about the hematoma. I will be hoping and praying that it resolves itself and soon.

You are doing such a good job with handling everything. I'm sending all my love to you.

Nearlydawn said...

So glad to hear that the buns are OK, but I'll be thinking of you and saying a few prayers too.

The Momcaster said...

join the club... not one of the most cheerful ones but hey, what kind of misery doesn't love company?

i'm glad to know that your buns are staying sticky! bunS! can't imagine having two - what a blessing!

bed rest was nice the first two days. the others since have been pretty tough. i'm extremely grumpy, don't know what i want and no one around me can do anything right. i've been in better places, you could say...

still, this confinement is a very small price to pay for a healthy baby. here's hoping our bloody bleeds fix themselves - and soon!

Meghan said...

So glad the buns are doing alright. Crossing my fingers and sending all sorts of good thoughts that this it resolves by itself

Kelly said...

I've been reading this blog and she had the same condition as you and all is well as she's almost 20 weeks!! Hopefully, this blog will provide some relief!! THinking and praying for you and the sticky buns!!!

http://subfertilesadness.blogspot.com/