Sunday, September 09, 2007

Hair trauma

There’s something you should really know about me: I’m obsessive about haircuts. I freak out almost every time I get one. As a result, after a few bad haircuts in my adult life, I became too scared of another tragic hair mess and I just let it grow and grow. So, for the past couple of years, it’s fluctuated a bit between just below my shoulders and halfway down my back. But, there’s only so long I can have the exact same haircut. I need some kind of change. So, today I decided to cut off a few inches. I still wanted it below my shoulders, but I wanted to clean it up a bit. And, since I finally found a hairdresser I liked up here, I thought I’d go for it.

Big f’ing mistake. I hate it. And now I don’t have the ease of a ponytail to save me from the bad hair days I now know I’m doomed to have. Sure, it kinda fits. But barely. And it doesn’t look good.

Grrr… Why must I subject myself to this same torture over and over again? You’d think I’d learn and just keep my boring ‘ol long hair. *sigh*

In other good news, I wasn’t able to get an ultrasound appointment until Friday. Double grrr… Basically, last week when I called the hospital to schedule it with the perinatologist, the woman told me I’d be too early on Monday. She said I needed to get it done between 11w and 13w, and that I’d only be 10w4d on Monday. I told her that my doctor told me Monday would be fine. She scoffed a bit and said, “well, I’m telling you it’s going to be too early, so I’m almost certain you’d just have to come back for another one.”

Really? I’d have to come back for another u/s if Monday was too early? (She says while maniacally laughing to herself about her good fortune in finding a clever way to sneak another u/s in before week 20.)

I was THIS close to scheduling it anyway. But then, I panicked. I mean, what if I went in, then freaked out because things didn’t look good with the NT measurement? I mean, sure I could try to reassure myself that I knew it was too early, but I’d have a hard time believing me. And, it’s not like I need to subject myself deliberately to any additional stress, right?

So, I decided to be good, and I scheduled the appointment for Friday. I could tell that the woman wanted me to wait until at least the next Monday, but I just couldn’t bear another whole weekend without some confirmation that things are okay. So, the compromise move, as I saw it, was Friday. I’m disappointed that I won’t get another peek at the stickies as early as I wanted, but hopefully everything will look just fine no matter when the scan is…Here’s hoping! (Hang in there, l’il stickies!)

9 comments:

Waiting Amy said...

Ugh. Sorry for the haircut. But it probably looks great, you're just worrying!

Sorry for the delay to u/s too -- hang in there. Are you on modified bed rest still?

Glad to finally hear from you! I was wondering how you were doing!

Reproductive Jeans said...

I am the same way when it comes to haircuts...I am needed to trim mine, and I chicken out when I pick up the phone--its like going to get teeth pulled! I am sorry for the bad cut=( But Im sure you still look adorable!

I know all will go wonderful at the u/s...Im thinking about ya!

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I hope that your scan goes well!

megan said...

i used to be that way about haircuts until i found my current hair-lady. now i just go in there and let her do whatever she wants.... :)
sorry to hear you have to wait a bit longer for the u/s. friday's not that far away though! i'll be thinking of you and the buns!

Ms. Planner said...

Oh, you are too good! I so would have scheduled it early and then --ooops! -- had to have another one. You are like the good angel side of the shoulder of one's conscience.

So sorry about the haircut, but maybe your long love affair with prenatals will help your hair grow faster.

xoxo

Erin said...

Oh man, sorry about the funky 'do. That's never fun. Stinks that you'll have to wait a little longer, but the stickies are doing fine, I just know it!

Mands said...

I have the same problem with hairdressers... and the same hairdresser can never work the same magic twice... ever notice that?
Still rooting for the babas

Sarah said...

you'll be glad you waited and can feel more certain about the results. i was told 12 weeks too.

i think we need to see a haircut photo so we can really weigh in on this! i'm having the opposite problem, SCARY how bad i need a haircut. thankfully i'm going next week, hope it won't be a disaster.

hopeful to hateful in 28 days said...

Keep sticking lil' stickies!!!!

What is wrong with these people?!? don't they know we need REGULAR reassurance?!