Monday, September 03, 2007

Labor Day

Can you believe it’s Labor Day already? I feel like this summer—hell, this year—has just flown by.

This time of year I always find myself getting a little sad. You see, I love, love, love the warmer weather. And while I like the fall, I detest winter. So, once Labor Day rolls around, I know we’re on a short slide into shorter days and colder weather. (Optimistic, aren’t I? ☺)

Almost as if to punctuate the end of the summer and the beginning of the fall, this weekend was one of the most beautiful in recent memory. The weather in our neck of the woods was perfect. Sunny, breezy, no humidity, high-70s. Perfect. It’s almost as if you could feel the winds starting to shift and the seasons starting to change, even if it's a bit early.

As I was lying in our hammock in our back yard, desperately trying to take advantage of this picture-perfect day, I couldn’t help but think that, while I’ll be sad to transition from flip-flops and t-shirts to long sleeves, sweaters, and shoes, if everything continues to go according to plan with the stickies, I am hopeful that this winter might have a much different feel than any in recent memory. I usually associate winter with feeling cold, lonely, and sometimes even a little desperate, particularly lately. But if g-d willing the stickies continue to grow and the SCH magically resolves itself, this winter will have a more hopeful air.

That said, I still have such a hard time picturing the end game. My nurse keeps telling me I have to stop that—there’s a mind-body connection, after all, she reminds me. But it just still seems SO far away. I’m 9w4d today. On the one hand, that’s nearly twice as far as I’ve ever been. But on the other hand, all I can see are the weeks and weeks stretched out before us.

It doesn’t help, of course, that I’ve had a bit of spotting the past few days. Nothing major, and it’s all brown (no red), but still. Even though Smirky warned me that I’d likely see more spotting or even bleeding and not to worry, let’s face it, that falls on deaf ears. After all, I’d really prefer to have seen NOTHING for nine long months.

We have our appointment with the high-risk Ob tomorrow. I’m still hoping that I’ll get an ultrasound and another peek at the stickies, but I can’t be sure that’ll happen. So, keep your fingers crossed that they’ve got a wand handy and can check things out!

And, be sure to pop over and send positive thoughts to Erin and Leah, who just had their retrievals this weekend, and to Becks who’s coming up on her beta for IVF#2. I’m thinking of you, ladies and really hoping for the best!!

7 comments:

Amy R said...

I hope your OB appt goes well tomorrow :)

Anns said...

This post describes how I feel about Labor Day weekend to the "T".. the dreaded winter is just around the corner.. ugh.

Good luck today and here's to wishing the best for you and your stickies this winter.

Anns xo

Erin said...

That sounds like such a great weekend, although I know what you mean about Labor Day. I felt the same way when we lived on the East Coast.

I hope the OB gives you a look at the Stickies and most importantly that they're doing just fine!

Thanks for the shout out!

Ann said...

The waiting seems interminable, doesn't it? I think that once we start feeling our babies move, it'll all seem like it might actually turn out OK.

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I hope that your u/s goes well!

Reproductive Jeans said...

Shorter days stink...I hate driving home when its dark-and its only 5:30!!
Glad you had a great weekend=)

Leah said...

Thank you for the support! Hopefully some of your good luck will rub off on me...