Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Transitioning...

We went to the ob appointment today and, as I feared, there was no u/s. Crap. Stupid regular ob’s. I guess it all went well, though I have to admit to being pretty spoiled by Smirky’s office for the past few months. While he’s quirky, I really like him, I LOVE the nurses there, and it’s the most efficient place I’ve ever been to in my life. (If they think you might have to have to wait for 10 minutes for an appointment, they literally call you ahead of time to see if you want to reschedule. I’ve NEVER had to wait, even when they thought I might have to. For a doctor’s office, that’s just stunning.)

Needless to say, I did have to wait at this ob’s office. My appointment was 12:40, I got there at 12:30 to fill out forms, etc., and they didn’t take me back until about 1:10. *sigh* I miss Smirky already.

The nurse did the usual—urine sample, blood pressure, weight check. (PS, that was awful. I really don’t want to know how much I weigh already, because I know for a fact it’s due to the bed rest and extra double-st*f ore*os. I know better than to blame it on “pregnancy.”) Then they took me into see the doctor. He asked a bunch of questions, and we told him about our SCH. He seemed utterly un-phased. I guess that’s a good thing—he seems them quite a bit, and I guess they’re usually not that big a deal. But he did of course give the requisite, “well we can’t be sure it’ll all be fine, but…” Thanks. Helpful.

I guess the moderately good news is that I can go for the nuchal screening as early as Monday, which means I’m not TOO far off from another peek at the stickies. So, I’m going to try to get in there as early as I can. But, the bad (read: terrifying) news is that he warned me that, after that, I wouldn’t likely get another one until I was around 20 weeks. WTF?!? 20 weeks! That would be like a month and a half?!

When he saw the stunned look on my face he said, “yeah, we usually have to wean IVF patients off the monitoring.”

Humpf.

Anyhow, I don’t mean to sound negative. He seemed okay. And, most importantly, Smirky thinks a lot of him, so that’s big in our minds. But, this transition is going to be damn hard. Don’t get me wrong, I’m HAPPY to be at the point where we need a regular OB, but I’m going to miss my little clinic bubble and it’s going to be weird to be among “regular” pregnant women. Even today, I found myself looking at the baby bumps in the waiting room and thinking, “this is bullshit, you probably got knocked up by accident or on your first try. Bitch.”

Oops. Did I just say that out loud? ☺

17 comments:

Nearlydawn said...

You are too funny! I'm hoping you find a good middle ground with this OB. I haven't actually met any of mine yet, that is this week. We'll see how it goes. Hang in there!

Erin said...

I know I get addicted to follicle monitoring u/s's so I can only imagine how hard it would be to get weaned off them with an actual baby (or two!) to look at. I'm sure everything will be perfecto at Monday's appointment, which will make it much easier to wait those weeks til the next one!

Reproductive Jeans said...

Haha, I had to laugh at that last moment you said out loud in your head ;)

I have no doubt all will go just fine! Been thinking about you and the stickies!

anna said...

Awesome...that's exactly how I feel too! Yeah, I have to wait a month for my first OB appointment and after this Friday, God knows how long till the next ultrasound...gracious, what will we do? I'm thinking of getting that doppler thingamagig so I can at least hear the babes sooner than I go in for the next ultrasound. Congrats on getting this far...each day is another day closer to the goal!

Amy R said...

I don't understand why doctors can't give more ultrasounds. It doesn't sound like its hard or anything! Squirt some gel on the belly, run a paddle for a bit, and thats it. But thats just my 2 cents. Regardless, I am GLAD to hear that you are GRADUATING! Throw your hat in the air girl!

Ms. Planner said...

OMG - you are too funny! I mean about the last comment and all. The no ultrasound part equals not funny at all. Maybe you could slip your OB a benjamin and ask him to wink-wink sign you up for an ultrasound between now and 20 weeks. 20! WTF.

On the bright side, it is a blessing that there is not an immediate need for an ultrasound. Okay, yeah, right. You can slap me now.

chicklet said...

I'm not knocked up yet but I've really thought what you wrote a lot - that being amongst the ones who got it easily will just annoy me and I'll think they're all bitches. I don't wanna be with the regular ol fertiles, I wanna be with the infertiles. Good luck hanging in there until the next u/s.

Kristen said...

LOL, so funny about the poster!

I remember when I was dismissed from the RE and I hated going to the OB. I missed the service and the attentiveness. But I'm glad your OB is good to you.

Can't wait for more news! I'm so glad everything is going well with your sticky buns.

Caro said...

LOL

serenity said...

Yeah. I'm already prepping myself for what you described. Being weaned off the monitoring. Knowing that I've been spoiled for the past two years by my clinic doesn't really help with the weaning part.

*sigh* Well, at least you'll get a look at the stickies next week. And then? Ever thought about renting a home doppler? I've heard that it's a lifesaver for IVF patients who have more than a month between u/s. :)

Tam said...

I can imagine how not getting a scan and then the news about having to wait until 20 weeks is upsetting. Geez, I would hate that. We have scans every 4 weeks here (the trick is just to get pregnant!!) I hope that everything is perfect on monday!!

You'll see, time will start flying by soon :)

Chris said...

My sister-in-law (with 2 kids, the easy, old fashioned way) swears that the best way to get extra ultrasounds is to make up non-existant symptoms. To the infertile that sounds like needlessly tempting fate. However, that seems to be how the "other side" handles the business of not enough ultrasounds.

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

Too funny. I hope that Monday's appt goes off without a hitch.

Kim said...

I bet that is a big transition from being scanned what probably seemed like everytime you went to Smirky's to having to wait. Ughh.

Hope Monday comes quickly for you!

Ann said...

Yeah, isn't it a bummer when you go in and they won't do an u/s? That's our only real way of knowing that everything's OK! I suppose it's all because of not wasting medical dollars, blah blah, but we need our u/s fix, dammit!

megan said...

hey, it's almost monday! i'm glad you'll be able to see the stickies again soon.
i can kind of understand the frustration of desperately seeking monitoring. it's so hard to just be told to wait patiently!

Sarah said...

yeah i was the same way. it definitely is an adjustment. but at some point i started enjoying feeling more like a normal pregnant person. even though i didn't feel like one of THEM, i liked that my doctor seemed to think i was. i think the extra monitoring would have just freaked me out, and it was sort of relaxing to know they didn't find it necessary. i definitely wasn't going to pass on the NT though, and having a connection to a high-tech perinatologist helped me feel like i still had the big guns behind me, even if they didn't want me to come back until 20 weeks.