Thursday, November 01, 2007

18 weeks

Hubby's favorite number is 18. And, today, we're 18 weeks--potentially the halfway point for twins. (I've heard twins are considered "full term" at 36 weeks, so my hope is to get to March 4. 18 weeks from now.) I feel really lucky and just hope that our luck continues. Fingers crossed. Tightly.

In other news, one thing that's added to my quietness lately is that work has been INSANELY busy. So much has been going on, including that my organization hired someone who they tried to put above me and basically take over the management of my team. A team that I built--from scratch. A team that I've managed for two years and that has the best retention rate in the org. And, so, because I've put so much blood, sweat, and tears into this, and because I report to the CEO and am not looking to be demoted, I just wasn't having it.

And, I couldn't help but think how ironic the timing was--I'm about to go on maternity leave and have kids and they start to strip away responsibility? I don't THINK so.

Anyhow, the good news is that they've seen the light and have stopped the bullshit and are now building my team out underneath me. (It is MY team afterall, and I've done a good job. DAMNIT.)

Anyhow, I feel a little better, even if I'm still a little miffed at how it all went down.

In other news, remember this friend? Well, I did finally talk to her. I actually didn't talk to her until I was about 11+ weeks, so I literally went almost three months. I was just still so hurt by how she handled the whole thing. I did break down and tell her why I was upset (and avoiding her). The conversation went okay, but she still didn't get it. After I explained everything to her, I told her that I was pregnant, but that I was really nervous because of the hematoma and the 2.5 years of infertility and the failed fertility treatments, etc. To which she responded, "I know EXACTLY how you feel."

Um, really? Exactly how I feel? Because you got pregnant on your second try and have had a perfectly healthy and uneventful pregnancy? Yeah, let's not call that understanding "exactly" how I feel.

But, helas. She's a good friend, and I've gotten over myself. I even went to her shower two weeks ago, which I'm really glad I did.

So, that's the latest. Nothing too exciting...but I'm happy to be boring right now. :-)

6 comments:

MLO said...

Unfortunately, you so much as breathe about pregnancy in some workplaces and they assume you are leaving - or if you are staying - will be worthless.

It isn't supposed to happen, but it does.

Pax,

MLO

Diana said...

Congrats on 18 weeks!!!! Very exciting!

Good job standing up for yourself at work!

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

Congrats on 18 weeks and good for you for standing up for yourself at work.

chicklet said...

I hate when people think they get it. Glad you're doing so well otherwise though:-)

JJ said...

Happy 18 weeks--my lucky number too=)

Ms. Planner said...

Many congratulations on hitting your halfway point! And thank you for directing us to Ann's blog to offer some support.