Saturday, November 10, 2007

21 fingers and other updates

There's actually much to update you on in this post--what a change from my silence of late! I'll cut right to the chase with the pregnancy related news, though. (No point burying the lead, I suppose.)

We had our anatomy scan yesterday and, thankfully, it went really well. I think I cried on and off the whole time for so many reasons. I cried because I couldn't believe that we are actually here. I know so much can still go wrong, but I just felt this overwhelming sense of gratitude and good fortune. I just felt very lucky.

I also cried for Ann, because I know it was at this scan just a matter of days ago that her life was so cruelly and inexplicably changed. And it just made me cry for just how unfair life can be.

And, I cried everytime I heard the word "normal" come out of the tech's or perinatologist's mouth. "Normal" heartbeat, "normal" bladder and kidneys, "normal." It was like the single most beautiful word I'd ever heard, and as far as I was concerned I couldn't hear it enough.

I also cried when they told me that twin A was a little girl and that twin B was a little boy. I just felt--what have I done to deserve this good fortune? I just felt so unbelievably lucky, and so undeserving.

And I cried when I called my parents and told them that, no matter what happens, right now they have a little granddaughter and grandson.

I've continued to be weepy--in a good way--since the scan. I felt some flutters on the train into the city today and started to cry all over again. I'm sure everyone around me thought I'd lost my mind (because I was, of course, alone on the train. Ah, well...who cares.)

So, all in all, I couldn't have asked for a better scan.

Well, except that the little girl apparently has an extra little finger. Crazy, huh? All hubby could say was, "Well, 11 is better than 9!" True story. But, how funny, right? I mean, we all have our quirks--I had extra teeth, hubby a third nipple. (Yeah, that's right--an extra little nubbin, just like Ch*ndler on "Friends".) So, it stands to reason, really. And, frankly, I really don't care one way or another as long as the stickies are healthy and growing.

That's the good news.

The irony, though, of finding out that one of the stickies was a little girl was that I also found out that this cousin of mine is planning to drop out of high school. She's been spiraling for a while, but COME ON! Dropping out of high school?! She has every advantage in the world and she's just throwing it away. And, frankly, it pisses me off. I've dedicated my entire career to working with underprivileged students who don't have one-tenth of what she has and to working to make sure they are prepared to succeed at and graduate from top tier colleges and universities. And she can't even be bothered to finish high school? She tried to give me some sob story about how hard her life has been, and all I could say was, "we buried two of our students this year...so far. You don't know from hard."

I of course to mean to belittle things that have been hard for her, but at a certain point you can't use that as an excuse for such ridiculously self-indulgent behavior. And, it's not even like she has a plan. It's not like she's always wanted to do something different that she's going to dive into instead. (I dated someone once, for example, who dropped out of high school because he really wanted to be a carpenter. And, now he's an expert who was hired by the Clinton's to renovate their Georgetown townhouse. I'm not saying I agree with the dropping out decision in any situation, but at least if she had some dream or plan or work ethic it *might* seem less self-indulgent.)

In any case, I hope to g-d she changes her mind. We're all trying to figure out what's the best way to get her to see that she's lost her ever-loving mind and making a catastrophic mistake that's going to make her life so much more difficult than there's any reason for it to be.

So, that's the news chez SB, hubby, and the stickies.

And, don't forget to congratulate Sarah from For the Flavor, who gave birth last week to a beautiful little girl. Proof that sometimes there is a happy ending to these infertility woes. Congrats, Sarah! I wish you much happiness! :-)

17 comments:

Sarah said...

aww, thanks!! congratulations on the scan, your perfect girl and boy, the flutters, and all the happy tears! i am finally having those myself lately.

i actually dropped out of HS for a short time. i left home near the end of my jr yr but did go back to school for sr yr and had little catching up to do to graduate on time. i hope your cousin comes to her senses or at least has as easy a time as i did remedying things, but honestly the harder anyone tried to change my mind, the more resolved i was to do it. can't underestimate the power of teen rebellion.

TeamWinks said...

How exciting! One of each! I'm sure you feel like you won the lottery yesterday. What a special day for you and your family. I agree with hubby, eleven is better than nine!

Waiting Amy said...

Oh Sticky! I'm so happy for you and the hubby! And its always better to have too many than not enough! :)

Sorry about the cousin, but hopefully with a little time, she will see the light.

Thinking of you!

The Dunn Family said...

Woo hoo! Wonderful news. I still remember the day I found out I was having b/g twins. I felt the same way, like I was so lucky and I couldn't reconcile it with all the bad news so many other people got. Congrats to you and DH! I'm so glad to hear that everything looks great!

Kristen said...

Congratulations on your team pink and team blue induction! How adorable!

My mom is a nurse who worked in L&D for years and apparently, having an extra finger or toe is really common. It usually has no bone and is just an extra nub of skin. I think it is another cute eccentricity :)

Mands said...

I am glad to hear that everything is so normal - I thimk it would bring most of us to tears, considering all that we endure to achieve "normal".
I like your husbands attitude to the extra finger.. rather to many than too few is what I say.

megan said...

so glad to hear all is well! sounds fantastic and exciting. the extra finger is no biggie. i had one on each hand when i was born!

Erin said...

Wow - boy and girl, that is so freakin' perfect! I'm glad everything else looks good, and I definitely agree about 11 being better than 9. Plus 11 is a lucky number! Congrats on being (probably more than) halfway there!!

Somewhat Ordinary said...

One of each-that is incredible!!

Mary Ellen said...

A boy and a girl! How exciting! Congratulations!

Lori said...

Well, sign that girl up for piano lessons.

Congrats on all your bounty!

chicklet said...

You really are very very fortunate:-) Congrats on all the good news, including the extra finger - it makes her very unique and will be fun for you to find fun ways to make her feel special for it.

Ms. Planner said...

Hey Sticky, so good to have an update for you and so pleased to hear that everything is normal.

And a boy and a girl. Wow, just WOW. Yeeee!

Artblog said...

Happy news :) congrats!

X

Diana said...

Wow a boy and a girl! How wonderful. They sound perfect! So sorry about your cousin, some people just make their lives so hard. I hope she realizes what she is doing to her future.

JJ said...

Oh yay! I am SO glad everything is going so well--and how exciting its a boy and a girl. Just SO very happy for you--thanks for the update!

Tam said...

That's just perfect sweetie, a little girl and a little boy.

What a beatiful post, you made me cry (well not really you, i've been doing that quite a bit lately). I am so happy that you are happy.

11 fingers huh, that is a bit strange but perfect none the less. And yay for feeling movement, this are moving along nicely now!!

Lots of love and hugs always xxx