Sunday, December 02, 2007

Transforming "that" room...

I think many of us have "that" room. You know the one...it's not that you leave it completely idle or empty, but you're not necessarily looking to do much with it in the hopes that someday it will be transformed into something else.

Well, I'm both proud and terrified to say that last weekend we began our first steps towards that transformation. In short, we found out that with the holidays it could take up to 10 weeks to get a crib once it was ordered. (Don't ask me why, exactly. It seems utterly ridiculous.) So, we figured it was time to stop letting my paranoia get the best of us and we ordered two of these:

I’m pretty excited; I think they’re pretty darned cute. (Never mind that the room is barely going to big enough to fit us now, let alone two cribs…)

And, I'm trying not to think about how terrified this makes me. After all, whether or not we order cribs or otherwise prepare will have NO effect on how things progress. (That's my mantra...)

And, as if that weren't enough, as we speak, hubby is upstairs painting "that" room. We decided to go with blue and deep rose (a deep rose accent wall with three blue walls). And, hubby's being so adventurous that he's actually painting stripes. I know it sounds like a catastrophe in the making, but I think it's going to look pretty cute. He's gotten a combo of flat and glossy paint in each color and he's alternating between the two. Here's the effect we're hoping it makes on each wall:

I'll post a photo once it's finished.

And we’re getting new carpet for the whole upstairs on Thursday. (Okay, this is only marginally related to "that" room. We just have needed new carpet since we moved in. And since we moved a bunch of furniture to the basement last week, we figured now was as good a time as any to get that done.)

But wait, there's MORE! We also started a registry yesterday. (!!!) You see, it looks like my mom is going to throw a shower over MLK weekend in January and she wants to send out invitations this week. So, in order for her to let people know where we're registered, I had to actually start registering.

I know what you're saying, "that seems downright optimistic. What have you done with our ordinarily cynical sticky we've all come to know?" She's still here...she's just trying to move beyond her cynicism. Of course, there's a small chance I've overdone it this weekend and may freak out later in the week. But for now, we're keeping pretty busy, which is keeping my mind off the terror.

In other news, I had a prenatal massage today. It went pretty well--they had a table and pillow setup that allowed me to lie on both my stomach and my back at different times. I enjoyed lying on my back, but I found it kind of strange to lie on my stomach. I think it may have been that I'm a bit too tall for the table. So, in order to fit my stomach into the hole, my head was basically falling off the table. So, that was a bit weird. Otherwise, though, it was great fun.

And, at the risk of TMI*, I finally got a bikini wax for the first time in a few months. It's been far too long and I can't exactly navigate the area on my own anymore, so I feel a bit better about that.

So, all in all, a fairly eventful weekend chez sticky, doggie, and hubby.

*I'm guessing that we all past the point of TMI long ago on all of our blogs. :-)

6 comments:

Carrie said...

It is really nice that you are feeling more positive about the pregnancy. And you are absolutely right. What ever you buy/do will not cause an event to happen or not. It's just hard to accept that when you had to work so hard to get to where you now are.

I've got a room like that too. It gives me hope that one day I'll be decorating it too.

Tam said...

I am so glad that things are moving along nicely and that you are trying to move on and be less cynical!! I just love those cots for "that" room, can't wait to see pics of the finished room!

I have "that" room too, I used to refer to it as "the babies room" until my MIL said that she thought I might jinx myself...well fancy that, that was 2 years ago, I think that I might have jinxed myself afterall!!

E said...

I'm so glad you're getting into the spirit! And those cribs are so gorgeous. Can't wait to see how the stripes turn out!

Belly Laughs said...

Very exciting about the nursery!! Love the stripes! Enjoy this time.

Meghan said...

Glad you're getting to work on "the room" Right now ours is my shoe room (yes, I have a LOT of shoes)

Sarah said...

woohoo, great progress on all fronts!! i LOVE the flat/glossy stripe look, and those cribs are gorgeous!!