Saturday, January 05, 2008

27 week peri appointment

Thursday marked 27 weeks--can you believe that? 27 weeks? I never thought I'd be 27 weeks pregnant. It still seems so strange. I know there's still a lot of time to go--ideally about 10 uneventful weeks--but I feel so fortunate to be this far.

Of course, lest I start to get too comfortable with things, yesterday was just slightly more eventful than I would have hoped. I had a regularly scheduled peri appointment at 1:45, so worked in the morning before I headed out. I had a bunch of meetings, but nothing too out of the ordinary. Except that during one of the meetings I started to feel a little "off." Nothing dramatic, maybe a little lightheaded. So, I went to get some water and a banana and was off to my next meeting. Again, during the next meeting, I started to feel the same sort of "off-ness," so I politely excused myself and had hubby pick me up early to take me to my appointment.

I should preface all of this by saying that I was exhausted when I woke up. So, mostly I was chalking up my off feelings to being really tired.

Anyhow, I went to the scan and things looked great. The stickies each weighed 2lbs 4oz and all of their fluid levels, etc. looked great.

When the doctor asked how I was feeling, though, I mentioned that I had been feeling fine, but that that morning I was feeling a little off. She asked the requisite questions--had I eaten breakfast, had I had enough water, etc. Then she said she'd do a quick blood pressure check at the end of the appointment to make sure that looked fine.

I should also mention that I have a slight tendency towards anxiety and that I get particularly anxious if I think something is medically wrong. So, I wasn't terribly surprised when my blood pressure reading was borderline high. Of course, it did freak the peri out sufficiently that she sent me to L&D for tests and blood pressure monitoring for the rest of the afternoon.

The nurses in L&D were wonderful--they set me up with movies and ice cream (got to love that!) and checked my blood pressure several times (all normal) and took my blood to run a bunch of tests. Everything came back normal. But, I guess the elevated blood pressure sufficiently freaked the peri and my OB enough that they recommended I start working from home from here on out. They're not yet saying bedrest, but it sounds like, if I have another episode of high blood pressure, it won't be too far behind.

So, for anyone who might know something about high blood pressure readings, does anybody know how troubled I should be by this episode? (By the way, the initial high reading was something like 140/85, which the peri said was "borderline high.") Is this a pretty good indicator of things to come? Any suggestions for how I can ward off anything worse?

So that's the news from sticky-land. And here's hoping that I don't have another high reading, and that the stickies continue to thrive for the next 10 weeks!

8 comments:

The Dunn Family said...

I can't help with the blood pressure thing, but my doc suggested I start working from home around 24 weeks. I worked full time from home from 24-34 weeks when I went out on maternity leave. The babies arrived at 36w3d. I really think the working from home helped keep my stress level down and just helped me relax and hold them as long as I could. Definitely work from home if you can, it really helps.

Waiting Amy said...

No whammies, no whammies, biigg money!

What I mean to say is no more high blood pressure! I have no advice, but take it as easy as you can.

I'm thinking of you and the stickies!

Meghan said...

Don't have any ideas for keeping the blood pressure down, just wanted to say good luck and I'm thinking of ya!

christina(apronstrings) said...

goodness, what a scare! yikes. hopefully, it was just a freak thing. i can't believe you are 27 weeks. yowsers.

E said...

27 weeks! That is legit! I'm sorry you've had this little scare, but hopefully working from home, that will be a great solution. Of course, I always seem to feel a little "off" in meetings, so I'll have to use something else to tip me off to any potential problems.

Glad to hear the stickies are looking good - they're so huge!

Oh - I don't know anything about HBP from personal experience, but I did just read that with twins it's often high because of all the blood we're pumping. If our blood pressure didn't go up a little bit, then our hearts would be beating like mad, or so says the author of The Multiple Pregnancy Sourcebook.

I hope you're feeling better!!

serenity said...

27 weeks, I know, it's crazy isn't it??? :)

Can't help you with the BP, unfortunately. Sounds like you have a GREAT doc... and I certainly know I'd welcome working from home. *sighs in rapture*

May the stickies stay healthy in there for another 10 weeks or so!

Ms. Planner said...

Oh man, what a scare. I am glad you listened to your bod and told your doc how you were feeling.

I don't have any advice on the HBP, but I hope the working from home goes well for you. It is a bit of a transition and a little lonesome sometimes but your doggie will love it (and get very spoiled quickly).

I love that you are exactly 10 weeks ahead of me so I can easily remember how far along you are.

Sarah said...

well you've heard more than enough from me already, except that those "off" feelings you described sound unfortunately a bit familiar. eventually i came to recognize them as BP spikes, and that symptom was also the first thing that brought it to my OB's attn.

still hoping we're not leading those parallel lives!