Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ten Twin-Mom Commandments (as told by Sticky)

  1. If you spend money on something that buys you a week’s worth of sanity in the first few months, it was NOT a waste of money. I don’t care what anyone says.

  2. If at all possible, for the sake of sanity, have your partner get up for every feeding with you. There is nothing worse than juggling two crying babies at 3:30am…for the fourth time…when sleep deprived. (I still turn to hubby when Monkey Girl or Sweet Potato wakes up and say, “Monkey Girl is up. It’s your turn to get her.” He wondered once when it was my turn. I told him I’d happily get up and change her when I could come and pass him/her right off to him to feed for god-knows-how-long.)

  3. Sometimes babies cry. It doesn’t mean you’re a bad parent. (I have to repeat this mantra in my head. Frequently. I'm hoping it'll stick.)

  4. When losing your mind during the evening fussy period…which can seem interminable around two and a half months when you hear the cries of your babies in stereo and fewer people are around to help than when they were first born, see #3 above.

  5. If you never fold or put away another article of clothing for as long as you live, it’ll be okay. Think of all the room you’ll save on dressers and hangers.

  6. When, at a time when you haven’t pieced together more than three hours of sleep at a time for god-only-knows-how-long, someone regales you with stories of how their babies slept through the night beginning at six weeks, you are totally within your rights to throttle them. A jury of twin moms will completely understand.

  7. Read as many books on parenting and sleep habits as you want, but don’t hesitate to use them as kindling when you can’t afford to heat the house anymore because you just HAD to buy that extra swing because it was the only contraption that kept your lovelies quiet for more than 60 seconds and you just. needed. two. (See also #1 above.)

  8. Don’t make yourself feel guilty if you gave more attention to one in any given day. Your love and attention will be equally showered on both in the long run.

  9. Redefine your expectations of what a productive day looks like. If you get a shower and a full meal in, well then you’re my hero.

  10. Don’t listen to people who tell you it won’t get better until the twins are two, or three, or in high school. First of all, who the hell does that help? And, second of all, as far as I can tell, it gets better everyday, with every smile and every belly laugh. I have no doubt it’ll never be easy, but, as they say, nothing worthwhile ever is.*
*I should preface #10, however, by saying that I live in fear of the day when they’re both super mobile and go in opposite directions at a million miles an hour wreaking havoc in every corner of the house. I caught a glimpse this weekend when Sweet Potato flipped over face-down in his swing (yes, while strapped in—I don’t get this at all!) at the same time that Monkey girl pulled a giant blanket off the couch on top of her. I didn’t know who to try to save first and I’m pretty sure the SIDS police was notified and I’m now on permanent watch.

Also, happy transfer day, stickies! It's been a year since you've been officially entrusted to my care. I hope I've done you proud. You've certainly exceeded all of my expectations since the start. :-)

7 comments:

InfertileMadWoman said...

Awww Happy Transfer day!!!!

LOL on the SIDS police, I think they sit in my freaking driveway!!!

Hugs,
Rebel

E said...

Wow - you sound like such a pro! I love these. I can't believe he was able to flip over like that - insane!! I was just noticing Matthew trying to sit up in his bouncy. I guess we need to start strapping them in!

Belly Laughs said...

HA!! I like your list. And the bottom line is -- if you have one baby and someone has two babies (or three babies in my case) -- DO NOT COMPLAIN!!! HA!! I love being the mom of multiples...but it is way more work than one. Trust me, I know (as do you!). Glad you're having so much fun and the smiles and laughs do melt your heart every single time. Every single time. Ilove it!!

InfertileMadWoman said...

Hey... thanks for visitig!! And yeah time seems to just evaporate all around me!!! I get crap from Clark about all the pictures I take of her, but he so doesn't get it!!!

Hugs to the Stickies & Mommy!!

Rebel

Ms. Planner said...

Happy transfer day! I remember that I cried when you announced your pregnancy. I was soooo happy for you. Amazing what a year can change, huh?

Caba said...

As someone with 15 month old twins that are RUNNING all over the place, it's not bad! hehe ... I would take them now over those days of not sleeping ... so don't listen to anyone. It does get better with every passing day.

And remember, they don't go from immobile to running ... they roll, then scoot, then crawl, then pull up, etc ... so it gives you time to get used to each milestone, and you prepare your house and it really isn't that bad. I love seeing them walk ... I think it's just the coolest thing ever.

And two swings? Yes, absolutely 100% necessary. Those swings literally saved my life.

Nearlydawn said...

Hubby and I second the 1st line... Sanity is golden those first few weeks. Right on!