Monday, September 22, 2008

6 months

The stickies are six months old. Wow. Can you believe that? What a long, strange trip it’s been!

I could give you a long-winded explanation for my absence for the past month, but the reality is that it’s just been busy. Work, bla, bla, bla. You get it. And it’s not that interesting.

I desperately want to quit and just hang out with hubby and the kiddos. But, you know, we’d still have to pay bills and stuff, and haven’t worked out how exactly that would happen sans my (our) income. We did buy a lottery ticket today, though, so it’s not like we’re not doing anything to make it happen.

On the more interesting side, monkey girl and sweet potato are fabulous. Here’s what's new(ish):

1. Swimming. Yes, that’s right, we take swimming lessons with the stickies every Saturday morning. They are SO. MUCH. FUN. Monkey girl and sweet potato were a bit scared at first, but they really get into it. Monkey girl, in particular. She’s going to be a fish, I can already tell. We had to toss them to the instructor this Saturday and let their heads go under water (eek!!), and she took it like a champ. I was so impressed (especially given how traumatized I was by the whole thing...)

2. They are so freaking active. They’ve been rolling all around for ages, and are now literally almost crawling. Sweet Potato started effectively crawling backwards a few weeks ago. Since then he’s been rocking back and forth on his hands and knees, gaining strength everyday. And now he’s even added forward motion to the mix. It’s not actual crawling. It’s more like getting up on his hands and knees and thrusting himself forward. But, it does get him to those hard to reach toys.

Monkey girl is not far behind. She never really did the backwards crawling thing, but is also rocking back and forth. And she’s rolling all around to get from point A to point B. We can't take our eyes off them. Just the other day, sweet potato was on the activity mat in the middle of the floor. I went to warm a bottle and turned my back for maybe a minute. When I turned back around he was all the way on the other side of the floor. He had been eyeing the dog's leash and had figured out a way to get across the room to grab it.

So, yeah. It seems like pretty soon we’re going to have babies going every which way. Must. Babyproof. IMMEDIATELY.

3. They had their 6-month appointment today. The shots broke my heart, as usual. They cried. I cried. It was a mess. But, they took it like champs. I now keep them on a strict tylen0l regimen after shots to take the edge off--it makes a HUGE difference.

But, it was a big day: monkey girl has officially surpassed sweet potato in weight for the first time ever. She’s 15lbs 6 oz to his 15lbs 1oz. Well done, girl! He’s still bested her in height, though, by about ¼ inch. They’re both growing really well and are healthy, so we’re all happy.

4. Eating “solids.” Monkey girl and sweet potato have been eating “solids” since just after their 4-month appointment. (Though, I have trouble calling the mush solid, but you get it.) Sweet potato eats it up—he LOVES it. Monkey girl…not so much. She always makes a face that makes it look like we’re inflicting some strange breed of torture on her. She’s coming along, slowly but surely though. She definitely likes oatmeal better than rice cereal, and she seemed to like carrots. I’m thinking she’ll really take to fruit once we introduce that, so I’m kind of excited about that. We shall see!

5. Stranger anxiety has set in. It’s not terrible, but when strangers—grandparents among them—decide to launch a full-frontal attack the SECOND we walk in a door, the stickies lose it.

I can’t blame them, really, I’d lose it if 50 strange-looking relatives were all up in my grill the second I woke up from a nap or walked into a strange house. But people don’t get that. In fact, they make it worse. They get in the kids’ faces then, when monkey girl and sweet potato start to cry, they get up in their faces MORE trying to “cheer them up.” It both irritates me and makes me feel bad. Particularly when it’s hubby’s mom. The babies always cry when she picks them up. Of course, she’s the biggest “get in their face” culprit, so it doesn’t particularly surprise me, but I do feel badly when it happens.

That’s about it. But, for the first time in a while, it’s more than enough. I’m still bursting with love for these little ones. More and more every day. They amaze me. I’m so proud of them and love spending time with them. We’re very lucky, and we tell each other as much every night before we go to bed.

Oh, (she mentions casually), and hubby wants to transfer the sticksicles in January.

January!

I haven’t had time to even process what that would mean… I just don’t know that I will have it in me to jump back into TTC. Or even pregnancy, should we even get that lucky again.

I can't even think about it now. (Which I'm sure means that we will not be doing anything of the sort in four months. But, it does mean that we're not too far off from starting these conversations again. I feel fortunate that the conversations will be SO DIFFERENT this time around, but wow.)

To be continued...

4 comments:

E said...

January. Wow.

Sounds like everything else is great, though! Swimming sounds so fun!

Good luck on the lottery. I've heard that's a sure thing.

anna said...

Oh my gosh...I just speculated about some day TTC again, but you've actually got the real deal on your hands... crazy!!! Your hubby should talk to mine since mine won't even start discussing this option until we've recovered a bit more from the infant twin madness!

Ms. Planner said...

So good to hear your update about life with the stickies. I keep wishing for you that you find your dream gig (or winning lottery ticket) soon.

January. Woo-whee!

I keep the TTC round #2 idea in my head often - and probably should do a post about it soon. Will be interesting to read your thoughts on the subject.

Sarah said...

hurray for all the good news!!! they are absolutely perfect.