Friday, June 26, 2009

The bare minimum

I went in for my second beta this morning. It had to be above 180 to officially hit the 48 hour doubling time. It was 190.

I realize I should be happy about that, but I'm really nervous. It's still seems lower than I'd like. I know it's tracking right at the median, but I feel like most people have higher numbers at this point. And, Betab*se.info seems to suggest that that is the upper limit of the normal range for betas at this level. (In other words, most betas that are in the range of my first beta (88) double more quickly than mine has.) So, I guess I'd say, I'm not in the danger zone, but I feel like I'm teetering on the edge of it.

I have to say, the beta checking business was much easier the first time around--with twins (which I'm assuming this isn't), I was over 1,000 by my second beta, which was altogether quite reassuring. This is...well....less so. Particularly because I haven't yet crossed the beta threshold of my first miscarriage. That was in the 500s. So, I'd like to best that by a lot, and then lap it by one beta. If/when I do, I think I'll feel a little better.

Here's hoping. Come on, little stickcicle(s)! We love you!

4 comments:

Life in Eden said...

Thinking good thoughts for you. Try not to get too hung up on the numbers. Mine were pretty low and barely doubling, and the docs seemed a bit nervous ... and look at that ... now I have twins that turned one today! Hang in there.

E said...

I'm still liking these numbers. So you get another test? PUHHHlease update us. In the meantime don't stress! This is all great news!

Meghan said...

my clinic only ever wanted a 66% rise, not double, so that number looks great to me! The beta game just sucks though. I so envy people who are just pregnant and never even have to know these numbers exist

Tam said...

I know that this must be hard but I'm sure that everything will be fine, also you are used to beta numbers for twins...

I'm hoping and praying for you as always...