Thursday, October 15, 2009

Okay then, here we go...

Okay, first THANK YOU for the pep talks! It's SO helpful to get support from women that get the struggle.

I ended up not going down to talk to my boss last week, though. I was convinced by the chorus of people who told me to wait until I finished negotiations with the new job. So, I did wait.

I emailed a few times back and forth and then talked to the CFO today. In short, they gave me everything I asked for: title, upped the salary, benefits, transition period, and a partridge in a pear tree. They certainly made it awkward to say no, huh?

So, I'm going to talk to my boss tomorrow. At 2:00.

Holy Sh*t.

So yes, I'm just as nervous as I was to talk to my boss and to tell my team. Only potentially more so, because now I've had a full additional week of making long-term plans. And since my breakdown in my boss's office, he's been trying really hard to show he appreciates me.

Well, okay, he hasn't been trying THAT hard. But for him it's been a step up.

But, really, it's too little too late. And, frankly, there's probably nothing he could do. This opportunity is better than what I could have imagined when I started waxing poetic about having more flexibility and time with the kids. So, it's basically a done deal.

Oh, do you want to hear the punchline, though?

So, I canceled the meeting last week with my boss, which meant that I could keep the post-miscarriage follow-up appointment I had made with Smirky. So, hubby and I piled into the car on Thursday morning--and I stacked back-to-back conference calls for the trip down and back. Then, right around 10:15am, I ran headlong into a huge SUV going almost 30mph.

So the car is nearly totaled. And I never made it to Smirky's office.

Yeah. Talk about a sign of....something.

Then on Tuesday (Monday? I forget already.) AF came. No urban legend post-miscarriage, post-IVF pregnancy for us.

With all of this, I decided I was done--already--with OPKs and timed s*x. F*ck it. I don't want to be sucked into this nonsense, and I have enough of a track record to know where it's leading anyway. And, I mean, if I really want to have another baby, I should just start trying to have another baby the only way that's proven even remotely successful for us in the past.

So, I've booked an IVF cycle with Smirky. I start BCPs around November 10.

I know it's risky, but I'm in a risk-taking mood. I have one more IVF covered. And we'd feel so fortunate to have another baby. And I'm under no delusions that this will work. We got SO LUCKY our first IVF. I can only hope we'll get lucky again, but if it doesn't, at least I'll feel like we did what we could.

Yes, it means we'll have to have some uncomfortable conversations about how many embryos to transfer--assuming we're lucky enough to get that far with more than one--but I'm feeling like it's a risk I'm willing to take.

At least I think I am.

So, there you have it. A big week for Sticky: totaled car, new job, scheduled IVF.

Stay tuned for my next post. Who knows what's in store for us then!

7 comments:

beyondinfertility said...

You aren't kidding when you said you had a big week! Good luck with the job transition. I hear you on the being done with the whole, let's try sex to have a baby bit. In so many ways it's "easier" to just get the medical help we know can work. Sorry about the accident. Glad you are ok!

A.K.A. T.eam W.in.ks

anna said...

Holy moly! Sorry about your accident and glad you're o.k. Congrats again on the amazing job. And so exciting about the upcoming IVF!!! How about I forge forward and explore this mother of twins + more thing for you and then let you know how it is since you'll be hopefully well on your way to the same goal soon!

JJ said...

Best of luck, sweetie! Youve had a big time lately--and lots on the horizon!

Erin said...

Wow - great news about the job. And the rear-ender revelation. And WOW about the IVF cycle. I love that you're taking matters into your own hands. Yay to all. xoxo

Nearlydawn said...

Wow, from anti-suckage to suckage and back in one week! That sounds like a wild ride - especially the part about the head-on collision! I am so very happy you guys are OK!

Michele said...

OMG, that was quite the week!

Ms. Planner said...

I love your plans. All of them!

Can we get an update? I am really interested to hear what happened.

What kind of new car did you get?