Monday, November 09, 2009

And so it begins

Let's leave aside the fact that an overturned fuel tanker shut down I95 for more than four hours today, thus turning a quick trip for bloods and ultrasound into a more than six-hour ordeal.

Instead, let's talk about the results from those blood tests. My FSH level isn't good. 10.9. It was 7.4 before our last IVF, and I freaked out that THAT was high. Ah, to be young and naive again...

The message from the nurse provided cold comfort: "Your FSH did go up, but we're still going to go ahead."

Oh, gee, thanks. Now you've planted a seed in my head that you were contemplating canceling my cycle based on that number. Sh*t.

I mean, I guess this means it's good we just decided to go straight to IVF. No need to f*ck around with DIY cycles at 34 when your FSH level is borderline "diminished ovarian reserve."

I'm also now convinced I'm about to go into menopause. I assume this is a ridiculous fear. For the love of god, I'm only 34. But still.

Stories along the lines of "wow, only 10.9? Gee, that's lower than my 16-year-old niece with great eggs" or "10.9? Wow, we got 25 mature, healthy eggs with that fsh" welcome.

Do you want to hear the punchline? I had the makings of an entirely different post in my head before I got the call this afternoon. That post went like this: "Gee, if you had told me two years ago that an IVF cycle would feel like the more drama-free of the IVF or DIY cycles, I would have told you you were crazy. But going through the IVF motions feels remarkably comfortable and familiar..."

So much for drama-free, I guess. Fingers crossed that this isn't a sign of things to come. BCPs start tonight.

6 comments:

anna said...

EEEK! How exciting that you're starting. I'm hoping it's all smooth sailing from here given how drama-full today seems to have been!

Erin said...

Ha! Nothing says "comfortable" like a dildocam! Seriously, though, I totally get that. The routine of it all.

Bummer news on your fsh, but I just looked back and mine was 13.7! Making your 10 look downright miniscule in comparison. I refer you to my now 18 month old Babies A & B for a bit 'o encouragement.

Life in Eden said...

Yeah, I'm a medical science geek and all and value numbers. But my FSH was actually considered acceptable (forget the number) and clinically I acted like a major diminished ovarian reserve. So numbers-shmumbers. Plus, you can also refer to my baby A and B despite all that.

Hang in there girlie.

Leah said...

I am jealous of your fsh. Mine was 12.something. I was never a big egg maker, resulting in 4 then 5 then 6 eggs retrieved on my 3 different cycles (all different protocols). But, like Erin, I refer you to my now 17 month old little boy as proof that it can work for those of us on the border of DiminshedOvarianReserveLand.

Meghan said...

Good luck cycling

Sarah said...

at 34 with my first IVF i was also convinced i was going into premature menopause because of an fsh number i could have found for you before i became a mother of two. my RE said something about diminished ovarian reserve but had to eat her words when i produced 16 or so eggs. and then it worked again at the ripe old age of 36 with a slightly lower number i didn't bother to record. my understanding is it was a non issue because they can shoot you up with as much fsh as you need. er, within reason i guess. i did stim slower the second time but we just pumped up the meds after a few days and i caught up.

true story. you know there is nothing i despise more than false hope in this whole damn process so you can count on me not to blow any fsh sunshine up your ultrasound probehole.

also dan is an idiot and is it just me or is serena becoming a needy user? what girl in her right mind would drop nate for trip?