Saturday, June 19, 2010

179

That's the number of my sister-in-law's beta from her first IVF. She has one son a little younger than the stickies that she conceived with Clomid--she actually got very lucky on her first clomid-IUI for that cycle--and she's been through four IUIs trying for another baby. And, well, we all know how that goes...

I can't tell you how nervous I was for her waiting to hear the news about today's beta. I really revisited all of those feelings leading up to the beta from our first IVF. It's been a long time since I revisited those raw "oh-my-god-will-this-EVER-work" feelings. And, let me tell you, it made me appreciate all the more how lucky we are and how lucky we've been since that fateful first IVF beta.

She doesn't go in for her next beta for a whole week, and then has to wait two more for her first ultrasound, so she's got a while until she gets more "data." With a beta like 179, she's in the "are there 1 or 2" gray zone. Of course, in the end she just wants a healthy and uneventful pregnancy followed by an uneventful birth. But I know she's really also hoping for twins. She never thought she wanted twins, but when you transfer two good embryos, it's hard not to get attached to both.

Keep your fingers crossed for her. I'm really hoping that she gets nothing but great news from here on out...

In other news, things here are going well. I'm in denial over the fact that I'm 29 weeks. 29 weeks?!? What? It's all very strange. But, things have been uneventful, which has been great. And, because it's a singleton, I feel like I rarely go to the doctor or get ultrasounds, so there hasn't been much to update. I'm growing more and more terrified of having three kids under three, but it's a good kind of terror. More exhilaration than fear, really. Mostly, though, I just feel lucky. (Oh, and f'ing HUGE. I've put on more weight than I care to admit and it's definitely bringing me down a bit, particularly since it's the summer and impossible to hide.)

Also, I'm actually planning to switch Obs. I really want to VBAC with this baby and think there is a better hospital and better ob/gyn practice. I met with one of the doctors there and just really love him. (Ironically, he's the doctor I went to for my first miscarriage back in 2006. I really liked him then, but didn't go back because I was spending so much time with REs. Then, when I got pregnant with twins, my RE--whom I LOVE--strongly recommended working with a practice that delivered at this one particular hospital where the perinatologist was second to none. So, that's how I ended up where I am now.

So, that's the news chez Sticky...not that I make any assumptions that there's anyone reading at this point, since I've been so silent (and sporadic) for so long! If you are still checking, thank you. I wish I've been better about blogging. I guess I just never really found my post-IF voice and often find myself at a loss! (Bitter and cynical suits me better as a blogger, I think. Is that awful? :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, your readers are still here.

Nearlydawn said...

Still here! I'm so excited that you are so far along! How great! I'm at 17 weeks and I've started doing that fuzzy math about "how long do I have now...".

I'm wanting to try VBAC too. I'm lucky with my current OB - she says she'll let me try as long as I do it by a date certain (don't want to have to induce me). So, I at least have a shot. Now if that baby will just cooperate! :)

Leah said...

Still here! I only post about once every other month or so (and that's probably being generous), so I completely understand.

What great news about your sister in law, and I'm thrilled to hear you are doing well too. Keep us posted, ok?

anna said...

29 weeks already, dear Sticky?! I'm sure you're not huge though I have to admit that it's been a bit harder getting the baby weight off this time around so I empathize with how you feel. Three under 3 is definitely exhilarating...and so tiring! But your home will be so full of love that it'll be spilling out the windows. Can't wait to hear about your little one coming soon!!!

Ms. Planner said...

Still hear reading. Parenting post-IF (hell, parenting in general) is a daily dose of highs and lows. With you here to celebrate and commiserate with it all.